Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Memories of Christmas

There is excitement in the air! Christmas will soon be here. I watch some people carefully count their pennies and decide what they can buy with what little they have, and I watch some people spend like money is no object. There are people everywhere pushing, shoving, grabbing, sneering; and there are some who just quietly move out of the "movers and shakers" way and then continue on when the rush has moved on.

Someone asked me today if I remembered what Christmas smelled like. Oh most definitely I do! The air smelled fresh and clean -- it smelled of snow. There were smells of pine trees (no one had an artificial tree when I was little). There were smells of wreaths, turkey, pumpkin pie, oranges and cloves that wafted through the air sometimes when you passed someone's house... and the smell of church and the candles from the midnight service when we would sing Silent Night and they would turn the lights off so that you sang by candlelight.

We didn't have very much when I was growing up. If we had a tree it was because it was the only one left in the lot and it was a "Charlie Brown" tree that no one else wanted. To me it was absolutely beautiful. There were construction paper ornaments, and ornaments that were given to us. The gifts were few.... I cherished every book, every puzzle, every pair of pajamas... I even still have some of the books and I have one puzzle that my Sister gave me. I even kept a yellow chenille robe that she gave me... of course it is so old that there isn't much left of it.

We might not have had much, but we had family; and those Christmases were absolute magic to me.

7 comments:

HennHouse said...

Sandy, this is just beautiful. (tears over here at the HennHouse) This is how I want my kids to see Christmas when they are grown and gone. To remember the smells, the rituals, the family togetherness, and the magic.

Sandi McBride said...

You know Sandy, I think all of us had Christmas's like that...I remember the stockings with fruit and nuts and one toy. That was the Santa present. It was a wonderful time because we were all together and family meant happiness. To me, it still does. Hope your Christmas is wonderful and filled with what you want and need.
hugs
Sandi

RiverPoet said...

Christmases past hold so much magic. It seems that when we're living in the land of plenty, we often forget the reason for Christmas. The true reason.

I wish you many magical moments this and every Christmas...Peace - D

Indrani said...

This is so touching Sandy. Having little or more is not very important, but 'being together as a family' IS. Congrats!

Craig Glenn said...

Very nice post and relivant to our time. So much to learn from these words. Congrats for making David's post of the day!
Craig

Suldog said...

Family is, by far, always the most important aspect of Christmas memories. Well done.

(Came here via David McMahon, by the way.)

Smalltown RN said...

OH I do love this post....like you we didn't have much...but i never felt like I went without...ever...my two younger brothers and my sister and I would pool our money and we would go to the nickle store....there we would buy combs, nail polish, chocolate bars....just something for everyone of our siblings(12 children) and mom and dad....there was alwasy a feast and an extra seat for anyone who didn't have a place to go for Christmas dinner.

I may not of had the beautiful gifts but I had my mom and dad and brother and sisters all around...