Saturday, June 13, 2009

Crafters Choice

I belong to a club called Crafters Choice. I have bought many things from them over the years. Software; books on gardening, getting rid of clutter (like THAT's going to happen), building 2 x 4 projects, and birds to name just a few; special pens; tools for engraving identifying marks on possessions. But a book caught my eye last month that took me back to about age 7 or so. So I had to have it. It came today. It's called "The Kitchen Linens Book" by EllynAnne Geisel. She also is the author of "The Apron Book."

This is a book about beautifully embroidered and embellished table linens, napkins, breakfast cloths, dish towels, sheets, pillow cases, etc. And the pattern on the front of the book was one that I had done on a set of kitchen linens for a lady friend of my Mom's. When I was about 7. I used to be really good at embroidery. Got paid money to do it. At a very young age. And now... I couldn't embroider if I tried. Isn't that a shame?

Of course, now I couldn't see to do those tiny stitches. And the hands would rebel even if I could see to do them. And I don't iron anymore unless it's a dire necessity. And the iron is a steam iron. Wonderful invention, that.

The young people today don't want to do things like that because you have to iron everything. And it takes time... and patience... But what a lovely, lovely art.

I can remember Mom and I sitting together working on our embroidery. She used to take in ironing to make money, too. I can remember helping her. I stood on a milk crate so that I could reach the ironing board. No steam iron there. You had to use a sprinkle bottle with a stopper in it that had holes for the water to sprinkle the laundry so you could iron the wrinkles out of it. Usually it was a Coca Cola bottle. Just the right size. We used to even iron sheets, pillow cases and towels. Some people even had us iron socks! I can remember sprinkling clothes and then rolling them up and putting them in a plastic bag and putting them in the ice box. Yep. Ice box. Not fridge. Ice box.

For just one minute, while telling this tale, I could see my Mom once again. She has been gone for many years, but for just one minute.... I could almost touch her.

3 comments:

Indrani said...

Great memories!
And I understand that last sentence too well.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful post! I remember those water bottles for ironing. My grandmother did sewing and embroidery work. She tried to teach me many times but I was always most interested in the colors of the thread and patterns on the linens. Lovely memories of your mom ♥

StitchinByTheLake said...

I love embroidery and do it all the time. Most of what I do ends up in a quilt or on a tea towel. I have The Apron Book and it's wonderful so I'm going to check out this embroidery book. I miss my mom - wish I could see her for just a moment or two. blessings, marlene