Sunday, August 23, 2009

Washing Machines




I don't know about any of you, but this sure brings back a ton of memories for me!

It reminds me of a time when things were more simple, better built, and not as full of crazies like it is today.

On Friday night my washing machine went on the fritz. This is the second time in approximately 9 years that it has done this. It is a Whirlpool. It will fill with water, wash, and that's it. No spin,... no rinse... nada. Sigh. And, of course, it had soapy clothes in it. And I had to take them out and put them in the laundry tub so I could ring them out and put them in a plastic laundry basket for a trip to the laundromat (thanks, son, for taking me -- I haven't been in a landromat in 40 years). My son bailed most of the water out of them machine with a large tin can (you can't get anything bigger in it to bail water). There is some water still in it, but at least it is not a whole washer full.

The part that went out on it the first time -- and I'm assuming the same one that went this time -- (it was under warranty the first time) is plastic. Need I say more?

My first washing machine, bought all of those years ago, was purchased at Montgomery Ward. It was harvest gold. It matched the dryer, the fridge and the stove. The washer was a hard working machine for 25 years before it went to that big parts bin in the sky. It had the Montgomery Ward "Signature" brand on it, but it was a Whirlpool. I don't think there was a piece of plastic on it or in it. Not today. There are plastic pieces where there really shouldn't be.

Now the decision is, should I get it repaired or should we just suck it up and buy a new one. The jury is still out on that one. I am going to call some repair places on Monday.

Wish me luck!

2 comments:

Larry said...

Other than the style of the vehicles, I can remember when our tiny town looked like this.

It's a shame isn't it?

Jan Marie said...

My mother recently had a 3 yr/0 Amana side by side go on the fritz and could not be fixed.

I usually go with washer and dryers with the least gadgets but when I bought appliances for 'The Gear' I bought the stack able Bosch only because I got a really good deal on them from a friend who works for a kitchen place.

Thank God for display models!!