Times are tough... and they are really getting tough in Detroit. Today I volunteered 2 1/2 hours of my morning at St. Aloyisius's (I always spell that wrong) Canticle Cafe.
People are let into the center at 7:00 a.m. to get a hot cup of coffee and a doughnut, a bowl of oatmeal and a coffee, or a sandwich. They can sit and eat and watch a movie, work on some VERY old computers (kind of like training so they can apply for a job). There are days when they can come and get a bag of food, or maybe some shoes and clothes.
St. Al's knows where to send you to find help for your family when you have lost your job and have children.
They do a wonderful job in a very old building that badly needs plumbing. They get no assistance from the government. They turn away no one. If they can't help you, then send somewhere where they can get help. Those that come into the center are from all walks of life. Young, old, black, white, male and female, they come. Some are clean, some aren't. Something as small as a cup of coffee and a donut brings a lot of smiles to a lot of faces.
I wish the people who have tons of money and spend it on things like millin dollar jewelry, fancy cars, McMansions, full-day spa treatments, etc. could see where their money could do some good. Imagine if all of those with billions of dollars could give some of the money they throw away on fancy birthday parties for their kids (who all have to out-do one another on what kind of shindig they throw) to places like St. Al's. Think of all the people they could help. And it wouldn't take a ton of money from each person.
But I guess I'm just chasing rainbows.
What this thing is still active?
16 years ago


















4 comments:
The saddest thing is the straits that families with children and pets find themselves in. It's heartbreaking. Is it going to turn around? I certainly hope so. I pray so.
Sandi
It's wonderful that you help out the way you do.
People with money are so wasteful. To spend 600 to 1500 for a pair of shoes is rediculous.
They don't just get married but pay 500,000 dollars for things like flowers is just plain mind boggling. It's all about who has more and it's just not the millionaires who do it. It's a sad society we live in.
I get so frustrated with CEOs and lottery winners who just spend money like it's nothing.
CEOs and lottery winners could live very very nicely and do good with their money.
Even bad CEOs get huge salaries at the expense of the stockholder and lower tier workers.
I keep telling myself that these people will get theirs in the end.
If only everyone could see the world through your eyes...... Since wishing won't make it so, we all do a little when we can and amazingly it comes back to you ten fold. I find that I can't worry about the lack of equality I see every day or it will make me crazy. I just do what I can and know that a larger being is in charge.
Post a Comment