Thursday, September 3, 2009

Restoring Photographs

The mother of one of my friends had her home destroyed by fire. Her mother and father built the home 55 years ago. The father passed away a long time ago. Almost everything was destroyed in the fire. Wedding pictures, graduation pictures, baby pictures... you name the photo -- it was either burned to ashes or was water damaged. My friend said that it was a shame that the photos were stuck together because some of the could have been salvaged.

My thought is this: I remember reading about a company here in the downriver area that did just that -- salvaged water and smoke damaged photos. But my problem is that it was quite awhile ago and I cannot remember what the name of the company was. Do any of you Michiganders that visit my spot know of any place that does that kind of work?

2 comments:

Indrani said...

I feel so sad for your friend.
I hope some help comes up.

St. Blogwen said...

Trick from the Archives: If the water-damaged photos are the old-fashioned kind printed in developer, they can be gotten apart by floating them facedown in a pan of 60 degree water until they come apart by themselves. Hang on clothespins to dry or lay flat on paper towels. The gloss finish will be gone, but the images will be there.

I'd advise doing it as soon as possible, before the mildew sets in. A rectangular glass baking dish works very well.

It's a good idea to put some sort of weight (like a wrapped brick) on the separated photos to flatten them before they're totally dry. Otherwise, they'll curl up and you'll crack the emulsion trying to straighten them out. Interleave them with paper or cloth that won't leave lint. Paper towelling can work if the pictures are no longer too wet.