Sunday, August 10, 2008

Memories


For those of you who remember one of the delights of Detroit...
This is my favorite picture of a wonderful thing that once was. A Bob-Lo boat. There was the Columia and the Ste. Claire.
I rode them many times. There were trips to Bob-Lo Island -- a place that had rides, food, and a picnic area (a small amusement park) or (for the adults) you could ride up the river and back on a moonlight cruise that had a band you could dance to.
This picture is a depiction of a moonlight cruise.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh how I remember the trips on the bob-lo boats (dates with my hubby, and trips with my parents) Nice post.

Jayne said...

That looks like it would've been fun. Why don't they have the Bob-Lo boats any more?

Sandy said...

They fell into disrepair and no one could afford to restore them. One of them is moored here in Michigan and is, to date, still unrefurbished. The other one is in Ohio somewhere and has been restored. I can't remember what they do with her -- maybe gambling boat.